Valentines Day is a day where most people show their special someone that they love them. Some people criticize Valentines Day as just an excuse for consumerism, an opportunity for businesses.
Some interesting stats about Valentines Day:
* Chocolate and candy sales reach profits of $1,011 billion during Valentines Day.
* 85% of all Valentines Day cards are bought by women.
* Approximately a billion Valentines Day cards are sent each year, making it the 2nd largest card sending holiday next to Christmas. That’s a lot of trees!
So why not do something a little more green to offset our carbon footprint?
Show some love for the planet with these gift ideas:
* Send an ecard. www.bluemoutain.com
* Send a card made from recycled paper.
* Have dinner at a local restaurant that uses organic & local food, or you could prepare dinner yourself using organic & local food.
* Use cleaner burning candles for your candlelit dinner. Beeswax or soy candles are great alternative.
* Organic wine or chocolates from www.globalexchangestore.org
* Plant a tree in the name of the one you love. www.treegivers.com
When you give your Valentine their gift, explain the big picture and your thoughts behind it. I’m sure you will impress your Valentine this holiday with the thought and effort you put into their gift.